Thursday, July 21, 2011

July 21 - National Junk Food Day

One of the things I really hoped to gain with this project, was a fresh perspective on how others live their lives. I think that's why I have been LOVING our guest posts! We have another great one for you today! This comes from Mindy Kane, you can visit her blog by clicking here. Her perspective on celebrating National Junk Food Day is so refreshing and I'm excited to share this with all of you! Leave her lots of blog love! Thanks Mindy for such a lovely post!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


NATIONAL JUNK FOOD DAY

I'm definitely a junk food gal. I love candy and ho-ho's and (especially right now) snow cones ... but my body doesn't love all the unnatural stuff that comes along with those things. I've realized how important it is to put whole foods into my body, rather than processed things. And, I can still make yummy treats without all the preservatives and yucky stuff that comes with those processed snacks!

Here are a few of my favorites:


Homemade Banana Pudding - recipe found here



No Bake Cookies - recipe found here



Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups - recipe found here


I love Michael Pollan's books and especially his article, Six Rules for Eating Wisely where he encourages us to avoid high fructose corn syrup and not to eat anything our grandparents wouldn't recognize as food.



Another favorite of mine is Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle:

"This is the story of a year in which we made every attempt to feed ourselves animals and vegetables whose provenance we really knew . . . and of how our family was changed by our first year of deliberately eating food produced from the same place where we worked, went to school, loved our neighbors, drank the water, and breathed the air."


And some of my favorite healthy food blogs/websites:

GNOWFGLINS
Oh She Glows
Deliciously Organic
Delightful Delicacies
Finding My Niche


I hope this helps everyone get a little bit excited about eating whole and organic foods ... Happy Junk Food Day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mindy,

    This was great to remind people to eat wisely. I too have been very blessed by changing my lifestyle to eat more raw, whole foods and much less junk food. Read The PH Miracle, it has truly changed my life.

    ReplyDelete